KILIMANJARO, THE MOUNTAIN OF LIGHT
The highest point of the African Continent
The name itself is a mystery wreathed in clouds. It might mean Mountain of Light, Mountain of Greatness or Mountain of Caravans. Or it might not.
The local people, the Wachagga, don't even have a name for the whole massif, only Kipoo (now known as Kibo) for the familiar snowy peak that stands imperious, overseer of the continent, the summit of Africa.
Not only is this the highest peak of the African continent, it is also the tallest free-standing mountain in the world, rising in breathtaking isolation from the surrounding coastal scrubland, upto an imperious 19,336 feet (5,895 metres).
The Machame Route is one of the most beautiful and least frequented of the great mountain: the climb does not present technical difficulties, but the length and altitude require good acclimatization, resistance to fatigue and adaptability (no mountains huts, just tents).
The climb goes up along the southwest side, then and descend along the Mweka Route, rewarding climbers with great views over Shira Plateau, Lava Tower, Great Barranco Wall and the awesome traverse under the Kilimanjaro's Southern Icefield.
- PERIOD: January-Februry.
- DIFFICULTY: high-mountain acclimatization and spirit of adaptation.
- GRUOP: minimum 6 partecipants.
- DURATION: 8/9 days depending on flights*.
- COST: 2580€/person.
* On demand, the possibility of extending the tour with visits to the national parks.
Next departure: 17.01-25.01.2019.
Customizable program for pre-arranged groups.
REGISTRATION BY: 30 days before departure.
- IFMGA mountain guide, local guide, assistant guides.
- Meals as planned, carriers and cooks for the transport of food and materials.
- Tents in the mountains.
- Entrance to the park (740usd per person).
- Transfer from and to the airport and internal off-road travel.
Costs do not include:
- Return Flights Milan-Kilimanjaro (550-700€/person).
- Medical Assistance (100€/person).
- Airport taxes, visas, tips.
In collaboration with Dolma Tours Sas.
1. Arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport. Transfer to the hotel (B&B).
2. Transfer to the Kilimanjaro National Park and hike through the forest to the Machame Camp 2980m (FB).
3. Through the forest, fields of huge Erica plants and a large gorge to Shira Plain 3840m (FB).
4. Ascent to Lawa Tower 4630m within a barren landscape, then down to Barranco Camp 3950m (FB).
5. Down a gorge and back up to the eastern side, where the Kilimanjaro ice fields come into view, next to Karanga Valley Camp 4000m (FB).
6. Up the lava ridge to Barafu Camp 4600m (FB).
7. Early wake up to reach the crater at Stella Point by sunrise, then up to the summit at 5895m. Descent to Barafu and Mweka Camp 3100m (FB).
8. Back down to the valley along Mweka Route. Transfer to Arusha and flight to Italy.
The exposed program should be considered only as a guideline, subject to possible variations that traveling in high mountain regions may involve (weather conditions, local festivals, vehicles in need ...): in this case, any modification will be communicated promptly by the guide to each participant.
Please contact us for any info, detail or custom program.