KILIMANJARO 5985m - THE MOUNTAIN OF LIGHT
The highest point of the African Continent
The name itself is a mystery wreathed in clouds. It might mean Mountain of Light, Mountain of Greatness or Mountain of Caravans. Or it might not.
The local people, the Wachagga, don't even have a name for the whole massif, only Kipoo (now known as Kibo) for the familiar snowy peak that stands imperious, overseer of the continent, the summit of Africa.
Not only is this the highest peak of the African continent, it is also the tallest free-standing mountain in the world, rising in breathtaking isolation from the surrounding coastal scrubland, upto an imperious 19,336 feet (5,895 metres).
The Machame Route is one of the most beautiful and least frequented of the great mountain: the climb does not present technical difficulties, but the length and altitude require good acclimatization, resistance to fatigue and adaptability (no mountains huts, just tents).
The climb goes up along the southwest side, then and descend along the Mweka Route, rewarding climbers with great views over Shira Plateau, Lava Tower, Great Barranco Wall and the awesome traverse under the Kilimanjaro's Southern Icefield.
- PERIOD: June, September, October.
- DIFFICULTY: high-mountain hiking (acclimatization and spirit of adaptation).
- GRUOP: 2-6.
- DURATION: 9 days.
- COST: 2900€/person.
Next departure: JUNE 2020.
Customizable program for pre-arranged groups.
- IFMGA mountain guide, local guide, assistant guides.
- Transfers from Arusha to the National Park gate and back.
- All the National Park Entrance Fees, Rescue and Huts Fees.
- 3 meals a day while on Mt. Kilimanjaro made by a cook (2meals on first and last days of trek).
- Porters and equipments (cooking and eating utensils).
- Excess luggage storage (whilst on the Mountain).
- Daily provision of treated/boiled water for drinking.
Costs do not include:
- International or domestic Flights.
- Airport pick up and drop off.
- Accommodation in Arusha at Karama lodge for 2 nights on B&B.
- Airport taxes, visas, tips.
- Any extras not mentioned above.
1. Arrival to Arusha
Airport pick up and transfer to the hotel on B&B.
2. Machame Camp 2980m
Transfer to Kilimanjaro National Park. The trek begins winding up to the lush tropical forests and out into heather moorland to the Machame Camp (5/6 hrs).
3. Shira Camp 3840m
Hike to the Shira Plateau, and through the fine open moorlands (5/6 hrs).
4. Barraco Camp 3950m
This camp lies in a sheltered area below the spectacular cliffs of the Breach wall. The Breach wall, the dome of Uhuru and the edge of the Heim Glacier dominate the head of the valley (6/7 hrs).
5. Karanga Camp 4100m
Down a gorge and back up to the eastern side, where the Kilimanjaro ice fields come into view (4/5 hrs).
6. Barafu Camp 4600m
Up the lava ridge to Barafu Camp 4600m (4/5 hrs).
7. Kilimanjaro 5985m
Early wake up to reach the crater at Stella Point by sunrise, then up to the summit. Descent to Barafu and Mweka Camp 3100m (12 hrs).
Back down to the valley along Mweka Route (4 hrs). Transfer to Arusha.
9. Back home
Airport drop off and fly home.
The exposed program should be considered only as a guideline, subject to possible variations that traveling in high mountain regions may involve (weather conditions, local festivals, vehicles in need ...): in this case, any modification will be communicated promptly by the guide to each participant.
Please contact us for any info, detail or custom program.